Walmart Canada is one of Canada’s largest retail chains, with over 400 stores offering approximately 120,000 products, including fresh groceries. Its mission is to help customers save money so they can live better. Walmart Canada’s online store offers a vast assortment customers can have delivered to their home, shipping locker or Canada Post outlet.
In September 2015, Walmart Canada launched its Online Grocery PickUp service in the Ottawa-area. Using this service, customers can log into the Walmart Canada website and purchase grocery items for pick up at their local participating Walmart store, where a Walmart associate loads their fresh grocery order into their vehicle.
Building on the success of the Ottawa-area service, Walmart added the Online Grocery PickUp service for Toronto-area customers. To ensure it was meeting customer needs and expectations, Walmart Canada’s online customer experience team developed a customer feedback survey to better understand the customer experience in three important areas:
- Communication of the new process. Customers would need to understand the new Online Grocery PickUp process immediately, as it was so different from existing Walmart shopping options.
- Customer satisfaction team response. There were bound to be some hiccups along the way, so how efficiently would customer representatives deal with these inevitable calls?
- Product variety. If successful, the program would need to start offering access to even more groceries – customer feedback could help Walmart Canada expand their grocery offering in the right areas.
The Turning Point
Using Voxco Online, Walmart Canada’s online customer experience team implemented online surveys to collect feedback from customers about their experience using the grocery pickup service.
The survey results helped the online customer experience team identify key insights that would help improve the Grocery PickUp service. Key improvements include:
- Improved process communication. On the website, the user experience has been simplified to more clearly communicate the three-step process. Communications at each point in the pickup process have also been tweaked for clarity.
- Better customer satisfaction team training. Customer service associates have received improved training to help customers understand the most common issues.
- Increased product variety. The number of products available for pickup has been expanded from 3,000 to 7,000 in just a few months based on direct customer requests for specific grocery items.
The Online Grocery PickUp service was an immediate success in Ottawa, and has since been expanded into Toronto. Voxco Online surveys are continuing to be used to gather key customer feedback to help Walmart Canada better serve their customers.
« Voxco Online has helped us deliver our Grocery Pickup service in a way that truly builds on our customers’ feedback and needs. The survey tool is fantastic –very easy to use and it’s fun to build and deploy the surveys. As we work to continuously improve our Grocery PickUp service, we’re excited to be using a tool that helps us easily understand and respond to customer feedback. »
Bonni Poch, Manager, Online Customer Experience